Friday, July 6, 2012

House of Hope

A year or so ago I stumbled across an author by the name of Neta Jackson and as with most new writers I find... I read every book I can get my hands on by them LOL I started off reading her 4 book "House of Hope" series and it was beyond excellent. It took you through the life and trials of a woman who was at the top of her game, living in the lap of luxury who in the blink of an eye ended up poorer than poor only to rebuild her life on a more solid foundation and help others along the way. It is most certainly a story of hope and at the same time one of inspiration. While it is a work of fiction, it brought forth the reality of what it might be like to live in a homeless shelter. I know many of us cannot even fathom the idea of this. But it is a reality that is all around us, more so over the past several years as our economy has continued to decline and good jobs are hard to come by. 

Our town of Jacksonville, NC has a shelter. Not long after we moved here, I decided to go exploring and ended up downtown. What I saw saddened me, it was a far cry from the town of Medford, NJ that I came from. It was then that I began to pray about what God would have me do to help my community and not long after, he placed the Onslow Community Outreach on my heart. Their need was great, unfortunately our own financial situation was not the best and I was only able to step up and help for a short while. Thankfully though, because of our continued faith and trust in God, our circumstances have changed and once again God has placed them on my heart. Their need is still great, so my hope is to pick 1-2 items from their wishlist each week and buy as much of it as our budget allows and deliver them on Friday mornings. If it's God's will down the line, I would like to volunteer my time as well but for now I will follow his lead to give what I am able.    

Is there a need in your community? A shelter or a soup kitchen that could use supplies or extra helping hands? Did you know that $20 can buy 23 bottles of shampoo at Wal Mart? With the coupon craze, some out there have stock piles of shampoo, soap and toothpaste that they will never use in their lifetime. Yet there are people out there who need them this very day. Maybe you yourself are financially strapped but have a couple free hours a week. I ask you today to pray about what God would have you do for your community; ask him to show you an organization, a neighbor, or a family that is in need. And when he shows you, I pray that you would serve them not out of obligation but out of the love that flows in your hearts. The same love that is given us, let us give it unto others for Jesus said "it is more blessed to give than to receive." 

I encourage you to add these 4 books to your reading list, you won't be disappointed. In doing so maybe you also will begin to see the world through different eyes, just as I did. 

Joy & Blessings,
Brandy

1 comment:

  1. I keep telling myself to cut out all of the coupons even for the things that we don't use that way I can use them to get items when they are on sale to donate. And I always forget. Thank you for writing his post as you have reminded me of that and I will be sure to cut ALL of them this week!!!

    ReplyDelete