Sunday, March 4, 2018

A New Direction


Proverbs 3:5-6 (NASB) Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

For years, I leaned on my own ability to “fix” my issues with food; to “fix” my health. I trusted my own knowledge for what I thought was best. I sought help from books, websites, and friends. Not that this is bad, but I neglected to truly seek it from the one who knows me best; the One who already knew the right way for me to go. Why does it take us so long to move in the right direction? Why must we fail and fall numerous times before we seek the One who leads us to success? It’s that darn free will LOL
True, I did seek input from others who have used or are currently in Weight Watchers. I took the time to do my own research on the program as well. And I did pray through these things once the info from other sources stopped flowing. I then took all that to the Lord and asked if this was the right step for me. I did my homework then waited for the evaluation of 'yay' or 'nay'.
So my conversation with God went like this:
“Is this what will work for me Lord? I’m tired of trying and failing. I know it’s because I run out ahead of you most of the time but this time, I really want to know if this is Your will for me. I’m not going to take the next step unless I know for sure. Oh Lord, I desperately want to be healthy. I’ve destroyed this temple, abused it for so many years and if I continue on the path I’m on, sooner than later it will fall to pieces. I’m ready to start rebuilding it brick by brick. I know Lord, it’s going to take some time because I’ve done some serious damage, not just to the outside but inside as well. There will be times when the process goes fast and weeks where little may happen, but I will trust You no matter what. I want to be able to live and move and breathe for Your Kingdom purposes.”
I compared myself to a dull, rusty robot, its gears all corroded on the inside for lack of movement; unable to move because weeds and vines have grown up where they don’t belong prohibiting it from doing what it was intended for.
Because I ate for comfort and chose foods that had no benefits for my body, fat now surrounds my organs threatening to suffocate them. I’m sluggish, unable to move in ways I used to, unable to take pleasure in things I once enjoyed. And the poor choices show through on the outside as well. The tiredness on my face, too many “Peeps” have grown a second chin, too many donuts made what used to be a tiny bump of a belly into a large roll and so on. My eyes no longer sparkled, hair no longer shined because for so long I deprived my temple of what it needed, all for the sake of comfort food in the face of stress, anxiety, depression and laziness.
But God… has set my feet on a new path. One that will oil my gears and set them spinning again, weed out the bad habits that keep me stuck, filling my tank with good fuel that will purge out the sludge. This new direction promotes structure on a daily basis, something I have been without for far too long and so desperately need to have. It gives me opportunity to walk alongside others with the same mission. It calls me to “own” my choices, to come before others and check my progress weekly. Accountability without condemnation. There are rewards as we move closer to health, encouragement when we are stuck, support and solutions when we start going backward.
Not only will this new path break the bonds of fat on my organs, but also the labels, the chains that have bound me for far too long. I’m saying goodbye to stress, anxiety, depression and all the other things that poor health has left me with and saying hello to life and the ability to live in such a way that brings God glory. Thank you Lord, for this new direction. Thank you for setting my feet on the path to health and wellbeing.
Blessings in Christ,
Brandy ~



Follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/committed2overcome

Follow me on Weight Watchers Connect @committed2overcome

No comments:

Post a Comment